Tips For Maintaining Good Siting And Standing Posture For Seniors
Retaining good posture for aging seniors is vital; after all, poor posture that is not improved by posture exercises can cause pain in many different areas. This is what is called, postural pain syndrome. When this is left uncorrected for a long time, structural changes will occur – your muscles will become weak, leading to various joint injuries.
As a top provider of non-medical home care agency in Sunrise, Florida, we at Superb Care, Inc. care greatly about your well-being. This is why we have compiled this list of tips to help you improve your posture.
Good Sitting Posture
To help you adjust your posture for proper alignment when sitting, here are some tips from us at Superb Care, Inc. that you can keep in mind:
- Position your feet flat on the floor; sit back in your chair; lift your ribs, and put your spine in a neutral position. You can achieve this by angling your hips forward and backward until you are able to find a position that you are comfortable in.
- Once you are comfortable, move the center of your back – including your ribs, forward and back until you are comfortable.
- Lastly, bring your chin forward and back– make sure that your head feels pain free and balanced.
Good Standing Posture
Before you begin these standing posture exercises, make sure that you are comfortable and that your spine is in a neutral position.
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart; soft at the knees; with arms held loosely at your sides.
- Bring your attention to your pelvis – tilt it forward and back until you are able to get comfortable.
- Once you are comfortable, draw your attention to your back. Alternate between arching your back forward and backward until you are comfortable.
- Lastly, bring your chin forward and back until you reach a comfortable stance. Make sure that your head is well-balanced on your shoulders.
These are just some quick tips from us at Superb Care, Inc., a reliable non-medical home care agency in Sunrise, Florida that you can trust. If you feel like you need assistance with these activities, or if you need help with other homecare services, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-866-7SUPERB/1-866-778-7372.
We are licensed, insured, and bonded and we offer our expert assistance to you and your family!